Saturday 19 November 2011

Musical Profile

Music Profile

What have I learned that I would find useful in making my digipak?

Looking at the posters and merchandise, it is obvious that metal bands prefer to have their own logo for the fans to identify them with so all the items in my digipak will have either a logo or a specific font that sets it apart from the other bands. For the CD cover I noticed that the debut album did one of two things:
1.       Introduced the band
or
2.       Introduced the genre
I have the choice of having images of the band or cover art that depicts the genre, however I also have a third option of putting both together and showing both the band and the genre.
As for colour scheme, I found that most of the metal bands used black or very dark colours contrasted with red/silver/purple. It seems that contrast between light and dark colours is the norm in most CD cover art for metal. As a new metal band, ‘Interstate’ would want to hold to the ideology of metal but set itself apart from it at the same time so I will follow some of the normal traits of metal but set the band apart through different means, most likely with the cover art.

2 comments:

  1. Mr Seal will be assessing this element of your coursework but strong research is evident. You have focused on heavy metal bands but to raise your grade I would suggest you also look into bands with an anti war ideology because this theme is a strong element of your production. Your target audience may also be interested in Rage Against the Machine, the anti capatilist protests and so on. We can discuss when we get back into class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Miriam - extensive, detailed, highly analytical, intelligent, well-organised, specific. All of a very high standard and deserving of a high grade.

    Exceptional.

    ReplyDelete