Tuesday 10 January 2012

Font Ideas

While looking at some of the album art from similar artists I found that many of the bands had their name as the logo
I decided that as a new band I should have a logo as the band name as I would want to use it for advertising. If I want the band name as a logo I need to have some similarities to other metal bands, but unique enough for it to be recognised. I think blocky sharp font will look the best, perhaps with a bold colour such as black, red, or purple to draw attention.

Below are some of the first ideas I had for the font:


These are the main fonts that fit the profile, however only the tattoo and tribal fonts looked unique, and tattoos link to the targeted audience as heavy metal has roots in biker culture which was well known for iconic tattoos and clothing that have patches on.



I believe that using a tattoo font would appeal to the audience most, especially as a new band that has yet to form a fan base.
There are different types of tattoo fonts that are used, however as I said above it needs to be bold and blocky, with sharp edges and corners to fit with the similar artists. The most famous bands of metal do not have tattoo font as their logo, so while it does go with the culture it is unique compared to the other bands.

After looking at various tattoo fonts I found a type of text that is often used in tattoo’s called an ambigram. An ambigram is when a word is written but can be seen as another word depending on the viewpoint. For example:



Instead of having two different words for my logo I will have just the band name ‘Interstate’ that can be read either upside down or right side up. I will draw and upload some ambigrams and look at different colours to see which would look best.   

No comments:

Post a Comment